27 June 2009

Sing Songs

edit: *sigh* perhaps I should've stuck with lj. I always want to go back and edit my posts until they are "just right." Only, with blogger, I am afraid that I may be mucking up people's rss feeds. Sorry about that, I'll try to sit on my posts longer in the future, so they only get published once.

I have a hard time learning songs. I can't just listen to a song and then know it by heart. I've got to write down the lyrics, play the song and sing it back, and repeat and repeat and repeat. Thus, I know few songs by heart. However, I enjoy singing to myself while at work. Particularly, I enjoy singing to myself while picking up litter or pruning flowers or performing other early morning lone-lily tasks. The two songs I know by heart are "Blue Caravan" by Vienna Teng and "Sunny Road" by Emiliani Torrini. I'll pick around at other songs while working, but those are the only two I know beginning to end. They are lovely songs, but I would like to add a few more, and perhaps even add a few that don't deal with wanderlust. Those in italics are the ones I would most like to learn.

What songs do you enjoy singing to yourself?

"A-Tisket A-Tasket" Ella Fitzgerald
"Brandy (You're a Fine Girl)" Looking Glass
"Chim Chim Chiree" Mary Poppins
"Fly Me to the Moon" Sinatra
"God Bless the Child" Billie Holiday
"Good Morning!" Singing in the Rain
"Here Comes the Sun" Beatles
"Oh, What a Beautiful Morning" Oklahoma
"Outloud" Dispatch
"Prayer of Saint Francis" Sarah MacLachlan
"Sugarcane" Missy Higgins
"Today Has Been OK" Emiliani Torrini
"Throw Me a Rope" KT Tunstall
"Wagon Wheel" Old Crow Medicine Show
"Weeping Willow" Billie Holiday
"Winter" Tori Amos
"Whale of a Tale" 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea
"Wonderful World" Louis Armstrong
"Your Fire Your Soul" Dar Williams

5 comments:

  1. Nature Boy, by Eden Ahbez, recorded by just about everyone
    Wayfaring Stranger, traditional, try Eva Cassidy's recording
    Desert Pete, by the Kingston Trio
    Give Me That Smile, by Bill Cantos, sung by Sara Gazarek
    Home, by the Gougers
    Dance Me to the End of Love, by Leonard Cohen, sung by Madeleine Peyroux
    Wheel in the Sky, by Journey, but go and google up an awesome bluegrass rendition of it on music.metafilter.com
    Wichita Lineman, by Jimmy Webb, sung by Glen Campbell
    Wonderwall, by Oasis, especially as sung by Paul Anka
    Blackbird, by Lennon/McCartney (really McCartney mostly)


    Seconding the motion on Fly Me to the Moon, God Bless the Child, and Wagon Wheel. One of those three ought to work for just about any occasion.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nature Boy is a lovely, lovely, song. Several of the others, I will need to look up. But, that's exciting!

    How did you end up at El Hoyo? Regardless, thanks for the quip :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are the friend of a friend on Facebook. I think I found your profile via Ben Groves's "Flavor Tripping Party" -- the picture struck me, and then I found that you were one of the brave souls who lets people read your profile without friending you first. And at that point, clickety click, here I am.

    ReplyDelete
  4. ... On review, that would be Megan Harris's and Ben Groves's Flavor Tripping Party.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love singing "The Babysitter's Here," by Dar Williams and "American Girls" by Counting Crows. There are probably more, but those have been favorites for a long time, and I used to sing them in my head as I ran for track. I can mainly just know words to songs when someone else is singing out loud too, or when I'm listening to it, but on at least the first of these, I know them by myself.

    ReplyDelete