19 January 2010

Preach It, Sister!

I listened to this interview while I was at work on my Ipod. Then, I came home and watched the same interview. Amazing. I first learned of A People's History when I was in High School, reading an op-ed piece in the local paper. Later, I tried to ask my teachers about the book but no one knew what I was talking about. I couldn't remember the title and so the book was lost to me until now.

The dramatizations, I think, were more moving when I was listening to them. Without the image of the actress, I was free to imagine Susan B Anthony, Cesar Chavez, Sojourner Truth, speaking the words. So, perhaps when the actors step up, just close your eyes and listen. However, what I earned with watching the video was an appreciation for the age of Howard Zinn. Watching a grandfatherly and great-grand fatherly man discuss these great orators out of history, helped me to remember that the causes of social justice are timeless. I've been told that I will "grow out" of my concerns. But, here are two men who are quite old enough to have "grown out of their concerns." And, they haven't.

Bill Moyers Journal interview with Howard Zinn


The video is nearly 30 minutes long, but worth the watch. If it's not your cup of tea, I suggest fast fowarding to the 23rd minute to listen to the final dramatization--Kerry Washington as Sojourner Truth, a fiery abolitionist who was born in to slavery.

2 comments:

  1. Ah, great book! If only you knew what it was called and I knew you wanted to read it, I had a copy in my apartment at BYU. Sadly (for you, happy for me) it is now in Virginia with me. But thanks for sharing this, I will listen with joy tomorrow on my own iPod.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tut tut tut. First, you hide Parity from me and now People's History? What's a girl to do?

    :) Let me know what you think of the interview

    ReplyDelete