31 July 2010

Colgate & Coleus

Brushing my teeth this morning , it occurred to me that it's kind of strange: We scrape a chemical formula across our teeth every morning and night... and that keeps our teeth clean and healthy. Weirrrrrrd. And wonderful. (although I imagine there are non chemical concoctions that work well?) Also apparently even without the toothpaste it's good for your teeth, according to a dental hygienist a while back. I'm glad that I can keep my teeth healthy. Even if I'm still conflicted about, "Wait, people a century ago couldn't do this! (or could they?) And there are people today who still don't have access! Yarh."





= my favorite toothpaste





Also, I have a little garden of coleus growing in my house, and have possibly adopted one of Sarah's aloe plants. These are super-easy to care for plants. Still, I usually kill even the "easy" plants. I've enjoyed taking care of these little plants and checking in on them every day. I'm surprised how useful and grounding taking care of the plants has been for me. As for weirdness similar to the toothpaste: Coleus you'll find in the wild is green. We have cultivars of various leaf shapes and colors and they're really pretty. They're not natural. You won't go out to the jungle anywhere and find a pink and apple-green variegated coleus. That's sort of weird to me. But, I'm okay with it.








= my favorite coleus cultivar, popularly named "Freckles"






*Blogging about toothpaste & houseplants is mostly a practice in "it's okay to be boring, and maybe if you write a li'l more often, something interesting will start to shake out more regularly." Thanks for patience.

1 comment:

  1. It is reading about the little things that ends up being the most interesting, anyway.

    ReplyDelete