15 August 2010

I've had a lot on my mind lately. I've been trying to keep the thoughts tethered to a stake of "Treat yourself in the same manner as you expect yourself to treat others: with courtesy, understanding and gentleness."

Today, as I was writing, I decided to let myself make a list of things I want. Forget that it feels horribly selfish and egotistical. It's not. There's nothing wrong with being aware of my own desires, no matter how selfish focusing on those may feel.

I thought that what came out in my list was interesting. I'm curious as to what would be on your list, and how we understand our own lists of desires. So, I'll take the first step by sharing my own:

  • I want a kitten
  • I want to speak perfectly accented, grammatically accurate, Spanish
  • I want to learn a trade--like automotive repair or computer repair, nursing, carpentry, plumbing or farming.
  • I want to be part of a small, close knit community that includes children through the elderly.
  • I want to be happy in my present.
  • I want to reach out to others and remain open to the growing of the aforementioned close knit community.
  • I want to be financially stable.
  • I want to hike, travel and explore on a regular basis.
  • I want to work with children and/or adolescents.
  • I want to be part of a faith community who shares my values and supports my journey.
  • I want to search out a compassionate man who wants to build life with me, with whom to share love and companionship.
  • I want a small, stuffed, couch to sink down and cuddle into (perhaps with the aforemntioned man, or a good book, or pen & paper, or a friend, or the aforementioned kittens, or schoolwork.)
  • I want to work in the sun.
  • I want to find my lost netbook.
  • I want to feel content with being alone.
  • I want to feel confident in my ability to be an agent for change in the world.
  • I want to be an agent for change and social justice in my life, those I love, and strangers.
So, that's the list I came up with. Surely there are other things that could be included ("meangingful conversation with passionate people" jumps to mind,) but I was constrained by paper space at the time that I was originally constructing the list. Even without being all-inclusive, I feel like my list pretty well captures who I would like to be and the thoughts that have been boggling my mind of late.

What do you want?

11 comments:

  1. Good list! And I need to think before I answer your question.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want to figure out what I'm going to do with life, preferably at some point before graduating from law school.
    I want to find a best-friend kind of wife who I can talk to about anything and who comes up with awesome stuff.
    I want to help the church be a more tolerant place. This need not be on a large scale, though of course the bigger the scale the better.
    I want to climb more trees.
    I want to be more overtly supportive of friends.
    I want to play Boggle at least once a week.
    I want to have the pure love of Christ.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was a hard list to make. It's easy to either go off in a completely into physical stuff or abstract human experience. I've tried to include both. I wrote it all down in my notebook with my leg in an iced sling, suspended high above my head, jut this afternoon. Hope you enjoy the mental image.

    I want, first and foremost in my mind right now, to become so good at my job that I can do it well without thinking.
    I want a stingray. Wouldn't you?
    I want a roomba, and a crockpot, and a magic bullet.
    I want a walk-in closet. (So sue me! I do! Have you SEEN the size of the "closets" I've had?)
    I want to go to Grad school at Columbia with a degree in Educational Administration.
    I want to work with those who want to learn.
    I want to be able to travel frequently.
    I want to be in a relationship with a kind man who will work towards social and religious reform by day, FHE, adventure and museums by evening, and can just lie down and talk, or share an understanding silence by night. ( Run-on sentence queen of the world, am I.)
    I want to feel fulfilled in everything I do.
    I want do wetsuitable things (surf, scuba dive, etc.) in the ocean on warm, pink, early mornings ( so maybe live on a beach?)
    I want to have a group of lifelong friends and peers that will not belittle me, and do not need me to hide my passions from them.
    I want to be a respected force for good, where I can influence those who matter.
    I want to live in New York, or D.C. or Sydney.( Please God! Why do they make me choose between tenure and travel?)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh and I would like the append the entire Alanis Morisette song "All I Really Want" onto the end of the list. Especially the part about "intellectual intercourse."

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Oh. I also want an Orca grant so awesome (I almost said incredible...but I want my grant to be as credible as humanly possible) that the grad schools of my dreams will feel stupid not to accept me.
    And a personal secretary, and home delivered groceries.
    Austin- great song. You are very musically inclined. You would have made a great poet or troubadour.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Megan, I don't know what it is but a bunch of random songs that fit into comments on threads you're involved in have come into my head recently. I can't explain it, but maybe some ghost of a trobairitz has taken up haunting me?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very nice word, that. Surely someone very cultured introduced it to you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. And the very thought of me has long been known to fill the minds of men and women with song. Which songs, however...

    ReplyDelete
  9. woah! how did I totally miss all these posts?? :scurries backwards to read::

    ReplyDelete